Context Clues Scavenger Hunt
This scavenger hunt practices the important skills of using Context to determine word meaning. The product also includes a poster for types of Context clues and definition cards for the various types.
This scavenger hunt can also be used to determine the type of context clue found. An additional activity sheet has been added for this purpose.
1. Print the Context Clues Scavenger Hunt cards on card stock or brightly-colored paper and cut them apart along the dotted lines.
2. Make copies of the Context Clues Scavenger Hunt questions worksheet (2-sided). Each student needs a copy.
3. Place Context Clues Scavenger Hunt cards around your classroom where students will be able to find them. You can put them on chairs, on the computer keyboard, on the back of your classroom door, on the sides of student desks, on the chalkboard, or wherever you like.
4. Students have to search the room and find all of the sentence cards to answer the questions. You can differentiate by having students work alone or with a classmate.
5. Students should answer in complete sentences., that explain their thinking.
With the Scavenger Hunt game I have the students complete it as part of a rotation during reading groups. I only have 4 or 5 students walking around with clipboards to locate the sentence cards and write their answers. Students needing extra support can be paired with a partner for this activity. I have also done similar activities with the whole class or as a filler for early finishers, especially if you made the cards a little bit tricky to find. My students enjoy this activity.
**** I have added a small cover page to help you to identify your card sets when storing them.
Other Context Clues Products
Context Clues Scavenger Hunt Set II
This product contains 20 words and 2 different context clues foldables.
Context Clues Scavenger Hunt Set III
This product contains a Context Clues Crossword Puzzle challenge.
Halloween Context Clues Scavenger Hunt
These 16 eerie words do not have to be used for Halloween.
A freebie on using context clues
Diamonds and Coal: A Context Clues Lessonn