Also included in
- This bundle currently contains the following:• Context Clues Scavenger HuntIncludes lists of context clues types, definition cards• Context Clues Scavenger Hunt Set II Includes lists of context clues types, definition cards, and foldables• Context Clues Scavenger Hunt Set III Includes lists of conte$15.00$20.00Save $5.00
- This bundle offers your students the chance to practice important reading skills with the added benefit of movement. There is evidence that when students learn while moving they are better focused and better able to retain what they learn. Regularly scheduled movement should be a part of every day.O$29.00$42.50Save $13.50
Help your students build their vocabulary and give them a chance to move around the classroom at the same time! This scavenger hunt practices the important skill of using context to determine word meaning.
Table of Contents
- Table of Contents Set 1
- Poster listing types of context clues (Color and B/W)
- Poster about Using Punctuation and Font Clues
- Definition cards for each type of context clue for interactive notebooks - 4 per page (Color and B/W). These could also be used for a matching activity.
- Definition cards for each type of context clue for interactive notebooks - 8 per page (Color and B/W). These could also be used for a matching activity.
- Cover card for organizing and storing scavenger hunt(s)
- 16 colorful cards with vocabulary words used in context with an illustration
- 16 colorful cards with vocabulary words used in context no illustration
- 16 b/w cards with vocabulary words used in context with an illustration
- 16 b/w cards with vocabulary words used in context no illustration
- Student pages with room for students to write the word meaning and clues
- Student pages with room for students to write the word meaning
- Student page prompting students to write the type of context clue used
- Student page in a testing format
- Pages for student created vocabulary list
- Crossword puzzle using new vocabulary (2 formats)
- Answer keys
How to Use This Product
Display and discuss poster with types of context clues.
Choose type of cards to place in interactive notebook or on a ring as a reference tool.
Choose the format of scavenger hunt cards that you prefer to use. The illustrations are often an added clue for students, so choose between an illustration and no illustration for your class or by student need.
I often also print a set of the black and white cards on paper rather than on cardstock to give to students who were absent during the scavenger hunt or for use when reviewing during small reading groups, so that students can manipulate (underline, highlight, etc.) the cards as needed.
Choose the activity or activities you wish the students to practice.
- Write the meaning
- Write the meaning and the clues
- Test prep
- Write the type of context clue found
The same cards can be used for more than one activity. Students could do the test format one day and write word meanings (and clues) another day. Activities can also be used for differentiation.
For vocabulary building, students can create a definition list of the words practiced and/or complete the crossword puzzle.
I have students complete this scavenger hunt as part of a rotation during reading groups. I only have 4 or 5 students at one time walking around with clipboards to locate the sentence cards and write their answers. Students needing extra support can be paired with a partner for this activity. I have also done similar activities with the whole class or as a filler for early finishers, especially if you made the cards a little bit tricky to find. My students enjoy this activity.
This activity could also be completed as a Scoot activity.
Free BOOM Card Deck Bonus!
Students can gain proficiency in using context clues to discover word meaning. This 8-card deck asks students to read a sentence and use context clues to find the meaning of a more advanced word. Students choose the best meaning from the four choices given. A clue at the bottom of each page explains the thinking needed to use the context clues. Not available elsewhere on TpT.
To use Boom Cards, you must be connected to the Internet. Boom Cards play on modern browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge). Apps are available for Android, iPads, iPhones, and Kindle Fires. For security and privacy, adults must have a Boom Learning account to use and assign Boom Cards. You will be able to assign the Boom Cards you are buying with "Fast Pins," (play provides instant feedback for self-grading Boom Cards). Fast Play is always a free way for students to engage with Boom Cards decks. For additional assignment options you'll need a premium account. If you are new to Boom Learning, you will be offered a free trial of our premium account. Read here for details: http://bit.ly/BoomTrial.
Other Context Clues Products
This product contains 20 words and 2 different context clues foldables for interactive notebooks.
This product contains a Context Clues mini booklet for interactive notebooks.
Halloween Context Clues Scavenger Hunt These 16 eerie words do not have to be used for Halloween.
A freebie on using context clues
Tips for Customers
- Follow my store for product updates and sales.
- Follow my Facebook page to find occasional flash freebies and ½ price sales on new products here
- Please leave feedback to gain credit for future purchases.
- Contact me through Product Q&A with any questions, concerns, or problems.
Ann Fausnight ♥