Do your students need help having a conversation that is more than one turn, stays on topic, and includes comments and questions? Then these are the perfect set of lessons for you!
“Continuing the Conversation Like a Pro” uses a sports team approach of working together to win the game. The lessons are set up to build upon each other. The team practices until they are ready for the big game. What is special about this game, however, is that everyone wins when the team works together.
It is important for students to understand that there are both comments and questions in most conversations and that everyone must contribute. Conversations work best when everyone has approximately the same number of turns. There is no one winner. Everyone can win at this game!
1. Question Practice (Soccer): Learn to identify questions.
2. Question Practice Game (Soccer): Ask and answer questions about a given topic.
3. Comment Practice (Basketball): Learn to identify comments.
Comment Practice Game (Basketball): Make on-topic comments about a given topic.
4. Comment/Question Identification: Identify and sort comments and questions.
5. Comment/Question Practice: Ask and answer small numbers of questions as well as make small numbers of comments about a given topic.
6. The Everybody Wins Tournament: Ask and answer multiple questions as well as make multiple comments about a given topic. The entire team wins when all of the balls have been played.
for access to my growing library of free speech materials.**