Contractions are fun with poetry! Because there are so many different contractions, this big collection contains 61 mentor poems containing 41 different contractions! Check out the Preview which lists the poems and contractions along with an index of how many times the contractions can be found.
Five Reasons Why Poetry Makes a Great Mentor Text for Teaching Contractions:
1. Poems allow contractions to be taught in context rather than as an isolated skill.
2. Poems are often short, making them an ideal text for a targeted mini-lesson about contractions.
3. Poems demonstrate how contractions affect tone in writing.
4. Poems demonstrate how contractions make language more informal or more personal.
5. Poems often feature more than one contraction.
Have fun teaching contractions!
Lorrie L. Birchall
Keyword Search Terms:
contractions, teaching contractions, contractions in poetry, contractions in poems, mentor poems for teaching contractions