Knowing where to start when teaching conversation skills can be confusing. This social story activity was created to help students learn the fundamentals of conversation skills by breaking down this complex social skill into manageable step by step instructions..
This Resource Includes:
- Vocabulary Introduction Lesson: This lesson suggestion walks you through teaching the necessary vocabulary to teach before learning conversation skills.
- How To Have A Conversation Visual Checklist: These visual symbols to help students remember the steps to having a successful conversation.
- The Social Story: The social story explains the 7 basic steps of having a conversation: smiling/looking, taking turns, staying on topic, finding common interests, asking questions, adding comments, ending the conversation politely. There are three social story options: a version with no clip art for students to draw their own pictures, a version with color clip art, and a version with B/W clip art.
- Check For Understanding Quiz: This quiz lets you know that your students were able to comprehend the social story.
- Practice Asking Questions: This worksheet gives students pretend scenarios and prompts for them to practice asking questions.
- Practice Finding Common Interests: This worksheet helps students identify their interests and walks them through the process of finding common interests with others.
- Practice Making Comments: This worksheet gives students the opportunity to practice making comments when given pretend scenarios.
- Ending the Conversation: This worksheet gives students the opportunity to discuss appropriate ways to end a conversation when given pretend scenarios.
- 18 conversation starter cards (plus a blank page: Use these prompts to practice the conversation skills your students learned from the story and activities!
This resource is also aligned with Common Core and TEKS. See the preview for more details.
If you liked this activity you might also like the following items from my store:
Recess Social Story and Activities
One Page Vocabulary: Prefixes
How to Teach Empathy and Complex Emotions
Speech Therapy Stuttering Activity Packet