This lesson uses the the Cyberchase episode 'A Piece of the Action', found on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd91F88YHRE
In this lesson, students will be applying their ability to convert fractions to decimals and percentages. Students will also be practicing using these skills to solve real world word problems.
1) Students independently work through the math problems on the left column of the page. Students can show their calculations on scratch paper.
2) Students watch the Cyberchase episode which covers real life application of converting fractions to decimals and percentages. While watching the episode, students will answer the questions on the right side of the page.
3) Student self-check their math questions with the corresponding Cyberchase question answers. (example: If the Cyberchase question #1 had C. as the answer, the math question's correct answer is also C.)
4) Students reflect and re-calculate the math questions they got incorrect in the FDP reflection document.
5) Students answer the extended response question #12.
This is a great way to incorporate mathematical videos into a lesson while still keeping your learners engaged and actively participating.