This activity is a fun, hands on way to work on following directions with play food. It targets the following concepts: before/after, first/then, first/second/third, not, between, either/or, don't/unless, and at the same time.
To play the game, give each student a cooking mat and the play food OR one set of fruit and vegetable cards. Choose the set of directions you would like to use with your group (or mix the directions to target different concepts). Place the cards face down in the middle of the table. Have the students take turns choosing a card from the pile. The student should place the play food in a bowl in the correct order. If the student chooses a cooking utensil, they should place it on their mat. The first student to collect all 5 different cooking utensils wins the game.
This product contains:
- 40 before/after direction cards using two items
- 40 before/after direction cards using three items
- 30 first/then direction cards using two items
- 30 first/then direction cards using three items
- 30 first/second/third direction cards
- 30 ‘not’ direction cards using two items
- 30 ‘not’ direction cards using three items
- 30 ‘between’ direction cards
- 30 either/or direction cards
- 30 don’t/unless direction cards
- 30 ‘at the same time’ direction cards
All direction cards are color coded for easy sorting
The play food items required to follow these directions include: banana, grapes, strawberry, apple, orange, corn, and carrot. If you have your own set of play food that you would like to use with this activity, please email me (after your purchase is complete) and I will send you a new set of direction cards using your specified items. You must have exactly 7 different items in order to take advantage of this option.
Key Words: Speech Therapy, Special Education, Speech Language Pathologist, SLP, ADHD, Auditory Processing, CELF, Following Directions, Inclusion/Exclusion Directions, Location Directions, Sequencing Directions, Temporal Directions, Cooking, Food, Manipulatives