This is a 5-day flexible writing lesson that can be adjusted to grade levels 2 - 4. What also makes Cool Writing Prompts flexible is the differentiation of instruction, as each slide contains visuals. As well, students can work individually, paired or in small groups. Students can be instructed to begin the writing prompts by writing on the ActivBoard, as lines are provided for that purpose and can help those students who have challenges starting the process.
Visuals are embedded in technologies, such as the cell phone, TV, tablet, and computer, which displays a professional and engaging presentation.
Instructions for the writing prompts are on each slide. The student has a role to play in each lesson that connects to real life. They are to write as follows:
1. Write a text message to a toy store about a product purchased (The owner, a clown, is on the phone display).
2. Write an appreciation letter for a TV show in which you [student] have been invited to be a guest (Picture of a girl in outdoor spring setting on old model TV)
3. Write words to a song for a tablet (Art of musical instruments embedded in tablet and musical beat is clicked for students to hear to work on music. Students also have the option to choose their own beats).
4. Write and about a problem in school (Computer screen shows a cartoon of a woman who will give advice. The student will decide the issue and how to solve it).
5. Write a scene (Screen on modern TV shows woman with hands to face in shock. Students will play role of write to create what causes the woman to be in this state).
The presentation starts with instrumental music. This can be turned off but it will automatically turn off when clicking to the next slide. Day 5 also contains music for students to write song to the beat in the slide. Excellent Friday activity!