A project/writing assignment for undergraduate college students in the journalism major. This assignment aims to complete the below objectives for students:
1. To demonstrate your understanding between writing for print, and writing for the web.
2. To demonstrate your ability to discern what’s a newsworthy and interesting topic for an online article.
3. To demonstrate your ability to write clear and engaging headlines and subheads.
4. To demonstrate your understanding of basic journalism practices including interviewing, researching and writing.
5. To demonstrate your knowledge of AP style.
Assignment handout is a full 2 page editable Microsoft Word doc. Included is draft deadlines, objectives, process description, examples, material context and relevance, actual writing assignment and instructions, and a list of point deductions and grading criteria.
This assignment handout is ready to print and distribute to students. This project can be adapted to any student's skill level, ranging from a high school freshman to adult level post-graduate coursework.