Editable word document:
I created these small awards for students who are "caught by the core competencies." On each award, I write the student's name and what, specifically, he or she did to earn the award. I also circle the competency area (communication, creative thinking, critical thinking, personal identity, personal awareness or social responsibility). It is a great way to recognize and encourage positive behaviour and thinking. I tell them I am always looking to "catch" them demonstrating the core competencies.
Also included are small posters that we read every morning to inspire our work in the core competencies. The statements combine a variety of the competencies.
1. We demonstrate a growth mindset and take risks.
2. We value diversity and care for each other.
3. We work together in our community.
4. We are curious and ask lots of questions.
5. We use critical and creative thinking to solve problems.