SUMMARY OF THE CONCEPT:
Instead of using confusing GRAMMAR WORDS, we can use FAMILIAR QUESTION WORDS to teach learners the most common word order for English sentences:
• WHO did the action? (e.g., I) (for the time being, we will ignore the fact that a sentence can start with a WHAT)
• WHAT action did I do? (ate)
• (I did the action to WHAT - if applicable; e.g., I ate what? - some cookies.)
• WHERE did I do the action? (there can be up to 3 WHEREs, from Most Specific to Most General) (in my car)
• WHEN did I do the action? (there can be up to 3 WHENs, from Most Specific to Most General) (after midnight last night)
• WHY did I do the action? (because I forgot to eat dinner).