Count Me In No-Prep Novel Study BUNDLE Middle School Reading Unit
- Easel Activity
Products in this Bundle (4)
A no-prep, comprehensive novel study for you! This resource combines four separate resources to provide almost 100 pages of Common Core aligned curriculum specifically tailored to the text. The complete unit connects to every ELA standard, models comprehension skills for independent reading, and encourages readers to move beyond the basics.
"Karina, maybe we have to give back now by fighting for the America we believe in." - Papa p. 108
Count Me In by Varsha Bajaj asks readers to consider what defines America. When Karina, her friend Chris, and her beloved Papa experience a senseless hate crime, each of them searches for meaning as they begin the healing process. Appalled by this act of violence, the community rallies around them restoring hope and peace to a chaotic situation. Themes of friendship, injustic, racism, hope, forgiveness, and self-discovery will resonate with middle school students. The length and straightforwardness of the text make it a great read aloud for any middle school classroom.
THIS RESOURCE INCLUDES:
- Courageous Readers handout
- Comprehension Skills handout
- Pre-Reading Activities to introduce the book and its themes
- Reading Road Maps for text-centered questions that feature a focused skill and include page references for added support.
- Enrichment Activities to accommodate a variety of learning styles and levels. Each activity focuses on a key component of plot, character development, text analysis, perspective and more.
- Vocabulary Words taken directly from the text complete with page reference and definition.
- Vocabulary Activities that provide an opportunity for students to understand word relationships, usage, connotation, and etymology.
- Task Cards for flexible, hands-on instruction.
- Culminating Projects to use as assessments, complete with rubrics
- Writing Prompts that cover narrative, informative, and persuasive writing, with rubrics
- Quick Quiz offering a fast way to assess basic comprehension
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Amina's Voice by Hena Kahn
Wishtree by Katherine Applegate
Hello, Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly
My Thanks to You!
As teachers, YOU ROCK! Thanks so much for supporting diverse representation in literature. It’s my goal to help you do more of this. Follow the store for information on new products, future sales, and more. For ideas and inspiration, check out my blog at www.storytrekker.com.
And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE hearing from you! Leaving feedback helps me create resources to better serve you AND earns you credit toward future purchase, so don’t forget to rate the product. Many thanks!