In the Common Core State Standards, middle school students are being asked to write arguments where they can also formulate a counterclaim. Many students find this difficult. To help them, it is easier to teach them to recognize counterclaim before they are asked to create it.
Enclosed you will find 20 task cards. Each task card contains a paragraph that contains a claim, evidence, and counterclaim. Each paragraph is either the pro or con of 10 different engaging topics. Included you will find:
20 Task Cards on 10 different engaging topics
Counterclaim Task Card Student Directions and Recording Sheet
Counterclaim Task Cards Answer Key
Counterclaim Task Cards: Claim, Counterclaim, and Evidence Student Recording Sheet
Suggestions for differentiation
• Argument Writing Foldable with Counterclaim, Evidence and Explanation
• Claim, Counterclaim, and Evidence Boardgame
• Claim, Counterclaim, and Evidence Bundle!!!!
• Counterclaim Task Cards
• Find the Claim! Task Cards
• Argument Map Bundle: With and Without Sentence Stems - Differentiated
• Argument Map: Graphic Organizers for Argument Writing
• Argument Map: Graphic Organizers for Argument Writing With Sentence Stems
• Common Core Aligned Argument Writing Foldable
If you would like to see how I use my items in my classroom please visit me at To Engage Them All!