Counting By 7s Pre-Reading Activity- Book Bits
Use this simple and thought-provoking pre-reading strategy to get your students curious about your next novel! This move around the room activity gets students engaged and talking about your next novel.
This pre-reading activity provides students with an experience that is similar to the experience of watching a movie trailer prior to viewing. Each student will receive a book bit (a noteworthy sentence or phrase) from the novel that reveals just enough to pique student interest, but that is also vague enough to encourage questioning and the practice of making pre-reading inferences. This lesson takes one class period when the prediction quick write worksheet (included) and a class discussion are used in conjunction with the activity!
Included in the product:
- Teacher Activity Directions
- 30 Book Bits are included for the novel Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
- Includes a student quick-write worksheet to wrap up the activity
Reviews for Book Bits: A Pre-Reading Strategy:
- “Love, love, love this to introduce the novel!!! My students were so intrigued by the quotes chosen for this activity, and I loved that it even included a quick write prompt to help them reflect on the activity. Thank you!”
- “I had never used "book bits" before and absolutely loved the concept! The students enjoyed this more than other ways that I have introduced a novel!”
- “I love these book bits! They are so engaging for my seventh and eighth-graders. It gives a little bit of a taste of a book without giving away the whole thing. I loved how my students were coming up with theories of what the book might be about which helped generate interest in reading. I love these book bits!”
Additional resources you might be interested in:
Thank you and happy teaching!
©Read and Write Like It Matters