Just in time for Valentine's Day!
This is a simple 1 - 30 counting set for the little ones. It would work well with a Valentine theme.
Suggested class activities:
* Circle Time – The hearts make a nifty visual aid for simple counting
* Lay out the hearts in order (omit a few) and have the children tell you which numbers are missing
* Hide and seek – After hiding the hearts, ask the children to find them. Encourage teamwork as they scramble to figure out which ones are still missing. This is a good one to take to the playground.
* Add to an interactive bulletin board. Use Velcro strips on both the hearts and the board. The children should be encouraged to interact with the number line while in math centers. In my experience, they love anything with Velcro.
* Review the letter “H” for heart
* Place the hearts upside down and mix them up. Have each child select a card. Hand each child a sheet of paper and ask them to draw X (the number they chose) hearts on the paper.
* Punch a hole at the top of each heart. Thread them with yarn to make heart necklaces.
*Place the hearts upside down and mix them up. Have each child select a heart. The number selected will be their order in class lines for the rest of the week. Have them find their places in line as independently as possible.
*Tape the hearts in a vertical number line on a piece of butcher paper. Next to each heart have the children place the appropriate number of round mail/postage dots (or any small stickers)
Valentine's Day, valentine, counting, flashcards, math center, pre-k,