Covalent Bonding Unit – CURRICULUM BUNDLE
(One item is a PowerPoint. All other items are PDF documents. Items cannot be edited.)
Students will be able to:
· Describe the characteristics of a covalent bond.
· Draw Lewis Dot Structures.
· Write molecular formulas for covalent compounds.
· Name covalent compounds.
· Name and write formulas for diatomic molecules.
· Name and write formulas for chemical equations that contain covalent bonds.
· Determine the molecular geometry of covalent molecules.
o Use steric number and lone pairs to determine molecular geometry.
· Define Valence-Shell Electron-Pair Repulsion Theory (VSEPR).
· Define polar and nonpolar.
· Determine if a simple covalent molecule is polar or nonpolar.
· Use polarity and like-dissolves-like to determine which compounds will dissolve in each other.
· Define electronegativity.
· Calculate the electronegativity difference in bonds. Use electronegativity to predict bond type.
· Identify electronegativity trends on the Periodic Table.
· When comparing bonds, use bond order to predict the strength and length of bonds.
· Describe the properties of covalent compounds.
Some activities require teacher preparation such as printing, laminating, cutting, and the set-up of stations.
Additional Required Materials:
(These items are not included in the purchase.)
· Periodic Table per student
· 15 baggies/containers
· Blackboard or White-Board
· Chalk or Dry Erase Markers (recommend using 2 different colors)
· Color Printing for 13 pages
· Optional: Sticky Note per student, colored printing, cardstock, & Lamination
· Additional Materials (not listed here) Required for the Building Molecules – Molecular Geometry ACTIVITY Materials
***NOTE: Video Lessons & Guided Notes are NOT included in the Unit Bundle.
***Check-out more curriculum in the Chemistry with Confidence TeachersPayTeachers Store!
***Check-out the Covalent Bonding Unit Video Lessons!
***Check-out the Covalent Bonding Unit – GUIDED NOTES!
***Check-out the Chemistry with Confidence website!