My kids beg to play this game! It is perfect for small group instruction and literacy centers. I use it whenever we have a few minutes left during guided reading groups.
Crash! is a phonics game designed to help students practice reading words with specific vowel patterns. The game includes 26 cards with words containing the targeted vowel pattern, 3 Crash! cards, and 3 New Car! cards. Instructions on how to play are also included. The beauty of Crash! is that nobody loses. Everyone who plays has fun and gains valuable reading practice.
This set focuses on words with long a silent e vowel patterns. Words in this set are: flake, plane, shade, skate, shame, blade, snake, trade, behave, rotate, insane, scrape, escape, parade, grace, erase, grade, pave, maze, page, face, base, fame, date, space, and whale.
A black and white set of cards is also included!
1. Shuffle cards and place face-down in the center of the table.
2. Students take turns drawing a card from the top of the pile.
3. If the card drawn has a word on it, the student reads the word and keeps it in their personal pile. If they can’t read the word, tell them what it says, and place it face-down at the bottom of the pile.
4. If the card says, “New car!” they get to draw a second card. They must read it to keep it. If they can’t read it, put it back at the bottom of the pile (they can keep the New Car card).
5. If they get a crash card, they lose all of their cards! Put them all back at the bottom of the pile.
6. There are no winners or losers in this game. You decide when to end it.
Click here for a Vowel Digraph AI version of Crash!
Click here for a Vowel Digraph AY version of Crash!
Click here for a bundle that includes all three Long A versions of Crash!