WHAT IT IS:
"Crazy Poems" is an all-around positive way to get your 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade students reading and rereading kid-friendly poems at home to practice their fluency. It is fun for the kids, because they like the poems; it is easy for the parents, because all they need to do is listen to their children read and sign the form, and supportive for the teachers because it is totally research-based. Students read and reread a different poem 10 times each week, and have parents sign a signature page on the back.
THIS CRAZY POEM PACK:
This Crazy Poems pack provides you with everything you need to start implementing it in your classroom, grade level, or school, EXCEPT THE POEMS THEMSELVES! (Due to copyrights, you will need to supply the poems you use. There are many, many websites and books out there with poems for kids. You may also then choose to include poems you already use in class, or ones that match your content.)
Enclosed in this packet are:
• labels for the folders
• a parent letter to put into the folder
• example of a poem and accompanying signature page
• a handout showing what the students earn by completing their poems
• a teacher-direction sheet that they follow on Mondays to start each new poem
• pictures of the folder and examples of what a Crazy Poem Bookstore could look like
Also, see my “Fluency Activities Pack for Upper Elementary” Pack for more ideas and research-based strategies that you can use tomorrow!
Keep Calm and Coach On!