This primary edition (grades 1-3) double-sided flip book is a fun and creative writing activity that encourages students use their imaginations to create their very own country. This activity is perfect to implement in a social studies unit that teaches your class about countries, continents, maps, and/or leaders.
The flipbook includes 5 information tabs for students to fill out:
1. General Information Tab (asks students to provide general information about their country including its name, location, capital, etc.)
2. National Symbols Tab (asks students to draw and label their country's national symbols and write about their country's flag)
3. Government Tab (asks students to identify their country's leader, rules, and consequences)
4. People & Culture Tab (asks students to provide information about their country's traditional clothing and a traditional dish/meal)
5. National Sights Tab (asks students to draw and write to tell about an animal that lives in their country's forest and a special place people can visit)
*Back Cover: The back cover asks students to draw a map of their country (including a legend/key) and label the cardinal directions.
To assist you in differentiating instruction to meet your students’ needs, two versions of the flip book are included.
The first version includes a CLOZE passage/ sentence starters on each tab (excluding tab 3) to assist your struggling writers in conveying information about their country. The second version simply includes blank lines to allow your more proficient writers to answer the given prompt freely.
To accommodate young writers, each page in this primary version of the “Create Your Own Country” activity includes clear and simple instructions, text written in large font, ample space in between lines for writing, and a space for students to illustrate their writing.
*Note: Included in the bundle is a link to a video tutorial I created with instructions on how to copy and set up your double-sided flip book. Written instructions included also.
I hope you enjoy this activity! It was a labor of love. :)
*Don't forget to follow my store to stay up to date when I post new products and freebies.