The Company Project is a real-life project that combines business and creative writing for ELA classes. Great for engaging reluctant writers. Includes a variety of writing types centered around the fictional company that students create. Students will create business letters, complaint letters, narrative writing, testimonials, advertising, and product descriptions. Fun, engaging project for even reluctant learners as they see how different writing is used in the real-world.
• Company Project Poster: the core of the larger activity. Students create their own fictional company along with 3 products/ services offered by their company. The poster includes several types of writing to tell the background of the fictional company. Writing types include narrative of company and its history, testimonials, and a company slogan. Includes student guidelines with rubric, group participation self-reflection, and presentation grading.
• Business Letter (& Envelope): Students will write a persuasive letter to others in their company about a new idea. They will use the basic business letter format. Plus, they will address an envelope (I was surprised how many of my students will unfamiliar with addressing an envelope!) Student printable with rubric included.
• Sample Business Letter & Sample Envelope student reference sheets. Offered in color, but print well in black & white, too.
• Complaint Letter: students will pretend they are an unhappy customer and write a complaint letter to their fictional company about the issue. Student printable with rubric included.
• Sample Complaint Letter student reference sheet
• Repsond to a Complaint Letter: this goes with the complaint letter. Trading letters, students will politely and professional respond to a classmate’s complaint letter. Student printable with rubric include.
• Company Project: Commercial: Students will create and film a commercial for their fictional company. They will need to consider their message and delivery. Use of persuasive writing (sales pitch) and imagery are grading elements. Student printable with rubric included.
• Company Project: Commercial Script: Use as a required draft for the commercial OR use an alternate to filming the commercial if lacking time or equipment for filming. (Filming and editing can be time consuming tasks.)
• Script Writing student reference sheet (refers specifically to a shooting script, which is different than a script used for submitting a screenplay or other types of scripts.)
• Advertising Flyer: students will come up with an additional product/ service for their fictional company and sell it with a bold, informative and attractive single-page flyer. Student printable with rubric included
• Quick Guide to Writing Advertising & Other Persuasive Writing student reference sheet.
• Common Core Standards this project may help meet
• Sample Company Project Poster
*Each activity includes an overview with teacher notes and deployment ideas.
Materials Required/ Used:
• Poster board—trifold posters work great for this project. (Plus, if students don’t want to keep them, they are generally sturdy enough to be covered with construction paper and reused again to further stretch the budget.) Standard poster board also works well.
• Computer & printer access—the activities of this project can dovetail together so that students do not all need the computer at the same time. Some can be finishing the company project while others type their letter and still others are filming a commercial. NOTE: several items refer to typed as a requirement.
• Student access to recording & editing tools (optional!)—students can use their own devices or school provided. If no recording equipment is available for some or all students, the script alone can replace filming the commercial.
• Art supplies-- crayons, colored pencils, markers, scissors, and glue
• Copy/ printer paper-- for the advertising flyer if done by hand (also for printing other parts of the project.)
• Envelopes-- enough for every student, plus a few extras in case of mistakes.
This project takes about 2-3 weeks, depending on which activities are included and how much is completed in-class. Only the Poster Board is required—the rest of the activities can be included or excluded as needed (Response to complaint requires complaint letter first.) Includes schedule for a full 4 week Unit and a short 1 week activity. Lots of options and variations to fit your class time and needs.
This file is an editable single file Word document (.docx).
The Create a Company / Build a Business Project
is also available as a PDF, cheaper but not editable.
Like this? Check these out:
Back to School ELA Activities Bundle - PDF
St. Valentine's Day Massacre Activities Bundle- PDF
Song Lyric Literary Analysis