Boost students’ descriptive writing strategies with practice writing and using similes! Grades 2 to 4 (and adaptable for grades 5 & 6).
Students write similes about a character (a robot or a fairy), and then write a short story about the character and incorporate the similes in the story.
What is included
- instructions / steps (suggestions, really!) for running the activity
- ideas for extension activities and for adapting the material to different levels / grades
- 2 sets (robot and fairy) of activity sheets for creating similes with the ‘like’ and ‘as’ simile structure (each set has 3 options for level of support for students)
- story writing sheet set for each character (robot and fairy)
- sheet with definition and example of a simile (to put up or hand out to students
This activity suggests four picture books about similes to use as a springboard for discussing similes, but it can also be done very nicely without a picture book.
Please see the preview for further details and to see the activity pages!
Thank you for visiting my TPT store!
write similes writing similes create similes descriptive writing descriptive writing techniques write similes similes practice