Creative Water Unit
This six week, fully integrated, unit is designed to meet the International Baccalaureate (IB) Framework although it will work great for anyone looking for a creative unit focused on water.
This unit includes literacy, math, science, action projects, etc.
It is designed to emphasize global awareness, arts integration, the multiple intelligences, and 21st century learning and innovation skills.
Lessons are project based and are primarily taught through the arts; visual arts, poetry, drama, storytelling, and creative movement. This unit has a heavy emphasis on science as well as it is based on water. All lessons are hands on, engaging, and fun. All lessons invite critical thinking and creativity while students learn hard skills like types of water pollution and how to solve them. Although this unit works well with all children, it is particularly powerful for gifted/TAG/GT students.
How we share the planet
Life depends on sharing and protecting its water resources
Lines of Inquiry:
1. How water is used by living things
2. How water is distributed in various regions of the world
3. Effects of the shortages and pollution to water
Learner Profiles Focus:
Principled, Reflective, Open minded, Caring
This 91 page unit includes:
- Hot links with sample videos and additional resources
- Central idea, lines of inquiry, learner profile focus
- Materials, books, and music lists
- Field trips and visiting experts ideas
- A comprehensive unit overview
- Poem of the week description and poem of the week copy masters
- Juicy words, creative comparisons, skinny sentences
- Integrated activities organized by week for six weeks with project descriptions, photos, and key concept questions
- Field trip handouts
- Tips on preparing unit binders
- Arts integration and Multiple Intelligences integration charts to show your administration so they can see the value in how you are teaching
- Additional teacher resources list