Creative / Narrative Writing Unit
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Attractive and engaging resources for teaching 4 essay writing types (literary, narrative, persuasive, expository): daily step-by-step lesson plans, worksheets, student handouts, posters and more! Plus, SAVE BIG by buying this pack - all the items would normally cost $28.Writing doesn't come easilyPrice $21.99Original Price $27.96Save $5.97
Creative writing doesn't come easily to many students; so to effectively teach it, we often need to GUIDE students through the process. In this comprehensive narrative writing pack you will get step-by-step lesson plans, engaging worksheets, helpful handouts and more.
** NOTE: You can now buy this as part of my BUNDLED WRITING PACK and save 20%**
The main goal for this unit is for students to recognize, understand, and be able to use key elements which make narrative writing creative and engaging: fluent sentences, the importance of narrative perspective, developing characterization, embedding authentic dialogue, and crafting descriptive imagery. Moreover, students will analyze mentor texts - such as a short stories - in terms of how writers craft compelling pieces.
Students will be able to:
- Write complex, varied sentence types which will make their writing more engaging and fluent.
- Use figurative techniques to make their narrative writing appropriately descriptive, vivid, and compelling.
- Strategically use and develop narrative elements (e.g., narrative perspective, characterization, dialogue) to strengthen their writing.
- Plan, revise, and edit their own writing for accuracy, content, and structure.
- Complete Unit Plan and Suggested Pacing Schedule.
- 7 step-by-step lesson plans (each one guides the teacher in the most effective way to teach the concepts of the lesson, and provides helpful tips and hints for effective practice). A variety of attractive creative writing worksheets and hand-outs which accompany the lesson plans.
Lesson 1: Introduction - The goal for this lesson is to introduce the unit, and introduce students to creative writing. Students will also set their own goals for what they hope to learn.
Lesson 2: Getting Started - This lesson will help students get back to the basics of great writing – writing great sentences.
Lesson 3: Personified Objects - This lesson will help students to focus on the different types of narrator and will improve their descriptive writing.
Lesson 4: Know your Characters - This lesson will focus on characterisation and how to build up a character through what they do and how they react in a situation. This lesson will also look at first person narration.
Lesson 5: Great Opening Lines - This lesson will focus on writing brilliant opening lines for stories. Through group work, students will look at famous novels and their iconic opening lines, and then they will come up with some opening lines of their own.
Lesson 6: Writing Authentic Dialogue - This lesson will focus on writing dialogue in narrative writing – and more than that, students will develop an understanding of authentic dialogue.
Lesson 7: Imagery - By the end of the lesson, students will be able to use figurative techniques in their writing, to help them show and not tell with their words.
Other products go well with this pack:
Tools for Improving Writing: Sentence Fluency
Task Card Stations for Editing Narrative Writing
** NOTE: If you like this Guided Writing Pack, then don't forget to check out my other ones:
WRITING A DISCURSIVE ESSAY / LITERARY ANALYSIS
PERSUASIVE WRITING LESSON PLAN PACK