Great for back to school!
This is an activity for writing short ‘equation stories’. This is creative writing and illustrating, not math! These little stories are also called 'This Plus That' stories. It uses Amy K. Rosenthal’s fabulous book, This Plus That – Life’s Little Equations, as a springboard.
I’ve used this in the library with grades 3 to grade 7! It works for this wide grade range because it can be done in a variety of ways: it can include just sketch drawings or it can also include words, and can encompass simple to more complex themes.
All students can be successful with this activity, as simple ideas, sketches, and words (optional!) can create unique and interesting student stories. It is also excellent to use with English second language learners.
This activity is handy to just keep on hand. Once the students are introduced to the activity, it can be used again in various ways. For example:
• use it as part of novel study or character study
• as a creative writing or journaling activity
• add to writing centres
• to reflect on an occasion such as Memorial Day (what plus what equals Memorial Day for you?)
• to record and celebrate a special experience (we did this activity when the grade 7 classes returned from camp – they each wrote a ‘camp’s little equations’ to express different experience that for them, ‘equal’ camp)
• reflect on and celebrate the end of the school year and completing a grade!
If you have a moment, feedback is very appreciated!
creative writing, writing, free, writing centers, writing notebooks