OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
In order to add a layer of depth to a text, writers will connect their ideas to other texts either in alluding to another text, creating a parody, developing a pastiche, writing fan fiction, or modernizing or retelling a story in a modern setting. In order to help students see the interconnection between similar or related works of literature and media, students will write their own original creative writing piece based on a work. This 13 page handout includes the following:
1. Instructions for the assignment: students can either write poetry, a short story, TV script, or a chapter of a book.
2. Rubric for the assignment
3. Examples of the different types of texts with specific links to show students: allusions, parody, pastiche, fan fiction, modernizing a story
4. Two exemplars from Mrs. MacFarland with a rationale (a poem and a short story)
5. Poetry terms and handouts for analyzing Margaret Atwood’s poetry that incorporates allusion