Keep students engaged at any time of the year with these fun writing prompts. Print and have on hand for morning work, early finishers, high achievers, sub plans, or use at a writing center.
These pages are ideal for 4th and 5th grade students because of the amount of space for writing. Look at the thumbnails to decide if this product is appropriate for your students.
Click here for the same prompts with lines ideal for beginning writers.
Click here for the same prompts with bigger lines, ideal for 1st-3rd graders.
Allow students to color and create a bulletin board or a class book, or create writing journals for each student.
Use to teach or review expository, narrative, creative writing, and poetry!
Click here to buy the year long bundle and save 25% - 220 writing prompts in all!
One extra page with lines for more space to write; print on the back of any other prompt or as a separate sheet for students who need more room.
30 Creative Writing Prompts:
- Write a story about a magical camera that takes pictures of the future.
- If I was a chameleon I would camouflage myself to look like…
- If I were a color I'd be _________, because…
- If I could be photographed with any famous person it would be ________, because…. (draw a picture)
- If I could be any animal, I would be a/an _________, because…. (draw a picture)
- I think it would be _________ to be a tree, because…
- I think it would be _________ to be a whale, because…
- Once I'm old enough to drive I will…
- If I could go anywhere in the world I would go to ________, because…
- If I could ride in a hot air balloon, I would float over _______ because…
- I can't wait to be ____ years old, because… (draw a picture)
- My favorite holiday is __________, because… (draw a picture)
- If I could live anywhere in the world, I would live…
- If I could have any job I would be a/an ________, because… (draw a picture)
- Write a story about what would happen if you shrunk down to the size of a flower. (2 versions)
- If I could have the ability to breathe underwater or fly, I would rather… (draw a picture)
- If I could meet someone from the past I would like to meet _______, because... (draw a picture)
- If I could have any animals for a pet I would like a/an ________, because…
- Would you rather it be hot all the time, or cold? Explain.
- My favorite dessert is _______, because…
- Write a story about a magic pencil that grew to be as tall as a person. (4 versions)
- While walking through the woods I saw a bear reading a book. He smiled at me and said…
- My favorite birthday memory is…
- Write about an underwater adventure.
- Last night I looked under my bed and saw a little critter it said, "Hello! My name is ______ and I'm going to be your best friend!" The next morning….
- If my toys could talk, I think they would say…
- A Poem about Watermelon
- A Poem about Puppy Dogs
- A Poem about Robots
- The Top 5 Things that Make Me Smile
4 bonus prompts that could be used as homework or classwork, every week!
- Write a story using ____ of your spelling words.
- Write a story using all of your spelling words.
- Write a story using ____ of your vocabulary words.
- Write a story using all of your vocabulary words.
Supplement these creative prompts with seasonal and holiday prompts by checking out the following products:
Fall Writing Prompts (K-2)
Halloween Writing Prompts
Thanksgiving Writing Prompts
Winter Writing Prompts (3-5)
100th Day of School Writing Activities
Valentine's Day Writing Prompts (K-2)
Presidents' Day Writing Prompts
Spring Writing Prompts (3-5)
St. Patrick's Day Writing Prompts (3-5)
Easter Writing Prompts (3-5)
Earth Day Writing Prompts (3-5)
Summer Writing Prompts (3-5)
If you find this product useful please leave feedback below. To follow my store click here and then click on the green Follow Me star at the top of the page.