Also included in
- Need some skill-based mini lessons and writing workshops for your creative writing class or unit? These mini lessons are intended to teach secondary or high school students essential creative writing skills. Each mini lesson includes a PowerPoint presentation that covers a topic or skill and a follo$15.95$19.94Save $3.99
- Take the stress out of planning a Creative Writing class with this complete, 9-week elective course bundle! This Complete Creative Writing Class Bundle includes everything you need to teach creative writing skills, poetry analysis, and engage students in a variety of writing!In this engaging 9-week$74.58$93.23Save $18.65
Sick of repeating the advice, "Show. Don't Tell?" Are your students rushing their writing or turning in vague, boring work? Every writer needs to learn the crucial rule of showing, not telling in their work. With this writing workshop mini-lesson, students will learn what it means to show, not tell, and practice doing so.
The slideshow explains "Show. Don't tell" to students, comparing examples of "telling sentences" with "showing paragraphs." After, students will randomly choose a sentence strip with a "telling sentence" on it that they must turn into a "showing paragraph". This lesson is highly scaffolded with examples and the sentence strips turning writing practice into a hands-on activity.
With this mini lesson and "Show. Don't Tell" writing workshop activity, you and your students are set up for success! The included lesson plan breaks down the lesson with suggestions for modifications. The student worksheet gives students a place to brainstorm ideas before writing.
- Suggested lesson plan
- 20 sentence strips
- "Show. Don't Tell" PowerPoint slideshow
- Double-sided student worksheet
The whole resource (minus suggested answers) is visible in the preview, so check it out to see if this resource is right for you and your students!
- Creative Writing Workshop: Literary Voice Mini Lesson
- Creative Writing Workshop: Precise and Concise Language Mini Lesson
- Creative Writing Workshop: Dialogue Mini Lesson
- Creative Writing Workshop: Mood Mini Lesson
- Creative Writing Workshop: Tone Mini Lesson
- Tone and Mood Words Student Handout FREEBIE
- Figurative Language Teaching Bundle
- Fairy Tale Rewrite Creative Writing Project
***This resource contains NON-EDITABLE PDF files and PowerPoint files within a zip folder. Please be sure you have the appropriate software for unzipping a zip folder before purchase (if you have any issues, Teachers Pay Teachers has great tech support and a FAQ page). Before purchasing, please review the preview for each corresponding resource to make sure this resource supports your and your students' needs. The whole resource, with the exception of any answer keys, are included in the preview.