Through this project, students will…
- Apply exponential functions in the real world.
- Become aware of the increasing credit card debt in the United States.
- Learn to be careful consumers of credit to avoid unnecessary short falls, huge debt, and bad credit ratings.
- Use the knowledge that they gather through research and assignments, to create a PowerPoint presentation about the responsible use of credit in our society. They will also create pamphlets that provide useful information about credit that can be presented to the community (i.e. students, parents, etc.) so that everyone will be better educated to avoid credit debt.
- Learn to manage their time and work cooperatively.
This package includes:
- Detailed instructions for the project (Preparation, Pamphlets/Information Sheets, The Presentation, After the Presentation, Assignment check list, Reflections)
- Possible resource links
- Readings (articles that students read to learn about credit card debt)
- Assignments (Adult Credit Interview, Credit Attitude Survey, Vocabulary definitions list, Credit Reality Check worksheet, Cruising for Credit worksheet (students research and choose the best credit card for their group))
- Rubrics and Feedback forms (Audience Feedback Form, Peer Evaluation Form for Group Work, Presentation Evaluation & Feedback Form)
Files are in .pdf formats.
I like to do this project in classes primarily composed of 11th and 12th graders, so that they have a good idea about credit cards and debt when they go to college. Students love this project, as it opens their eyes to many useful things that they haven't been aware of before.
Note 1: I have also modified this project into a Service Learning Project, where students educate the community about responsible uses of credit. If interested in the modified version please go to:
Note 2: If you’d like to purchase 10 of my projects as a bundle and save $20, please go to the following link: