A day you won't forget! Turn your classroom into an interactive crime scene and introduce your students to the concept of making inferences. This packet has all of the teaching materials, student worksheets, and printables to teach students to infer and plan a seamless Crime Scene Day!
What is included in Crime Scene Classroom?
- Teaching Guide - an overview of the whole mini-unit
- Introduction To Making Inferences Lesson 1 - inferences in real life, a scripted lesson (Includes 5 student worksheets that help students to make inferences based on real-life pictures, and a partner-based activity)
- Introduction To Making Inferences 2 - Making inferences in picture books, a scripted lesson - Students will use wordless picture books to make inferences about the plot of a story (this lesson requires access to at least one wordless picture book
- 2 Minute-by-Minute Activity Timelines for Crime Scene Day (independent or small group)
- 4 Detailed Crime Scene Set-Up Guides - each guide includes set up instructions, materials needed, and any prep to be done ahead of time
- Crime Scene Day - Tips and Tricks for Success, a short article
- Detective's Notebook (includes guided note-taking pages)
- Student worksheets for both inference lessons (5 pages)
Printables to Set Up Crime Scene Day
- Detective I.D. Badges for the Class
- 'Caution Active Crime Scene' decor sign
- 'DO NOT TOUCH Evidence' decor sign
- Vocabulary Posters - Observe, Infer
- Crime Scene Labels (#1-4)
This packet also includes a DIGITAL, Google Slides, version of all student pages. Please see the video preview for a detailed look at all digital pages.
- 5 digital, making inference worksheets for the two teacher-led inference lessons
- 3 digital crime scenes with accompanying inference and observation space
- 1 reproducible template to photograph and create your own class-specific crime scenes!
Please note: This is not a "no-prep" activity, the 'crime scene day' portion of this unit requires the teacher to set up four mini-crime scenes within the classroom. This will require gathering supplies and setting up each scene.
What teachers are saying about Crime Scene Classroom...
"I used this activity last year and my students are still talking about it. It was such an engaging activity and the kids had so much fun learning that day! I can't wait to use it again this year. " - Carly G.
"My students absolutely loved this activity, and the prep was pretty simple. I used it as an introduction to inferring, so students were better prepared for the strategy when they read a text. Super successful lesson! " - Christen M.
"My students absolutely loved this! We did it to wrap up our inferring unit and it was a HIT! Highly recommend!" - Katie K.