Critical Lens Theory and Fairy Tales - PBL Unit
Also included in
- Are you a first year teacher, long-term sub, or new to World Literature? This is everything you need for a fantastic year with your world literature curriculum for high school level students! With this bundle, you can rest easy knowing that you have everything you need to make it through the year! TPrice $187.02Original Price $225.02Save $38.00
- This money saving bundle includes all of my favorite resources for teaching Mythology, Legends, and fairytales in secondary ELA classes! This bundle is also perfect for a full year Mythology class. You will love the highly engaging, but rigorous cultural studies and PBL units that are READY TO GO! YPrice $103.95Original Price $129.94Save $25.99
Are you looking for an engaging ready-to-go unit to take your students analysis skills to a whole new level? This unit takes your students' love of Disney movies to a whole new level with critical lens theory! This 5-6 week unit takes a close examination into the fairy tales we know and love, but challenge them to look at them in a new way with critical lenses. All you need to do is supply the movies and have fun teaching the content!
In class you will examine the original texts of:
The Little Mermaid
The Frog Prince
Students then analyze their Disney movie counterparts. The materials included will help students take a closer look at the archetypes, historical/social considerations, and introduce them to critical lens theory (mainly Marxist, Gender, and Archetypal lenses). This also includes three assignments that takes them through levels 2-4 of DOK understanding.
What are other teachers saying?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Extremely satisfied
I used this in my Mythology class when we studied fairy tales. Great way to look at archetypes for my elective English class.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Extremely satisfied
This is going to be an awesome unit to my expand on my film class this year.
- Lesson plans that help guide you through the scope and sequences of the unit and suggestions for differentiation
- 44 beautifully illustrated PDF pages of the original fairytales covered in this unit
- Wicked Stepmother Archetype PP
- Archetypes handouts
- Critical Lens Theory PP
- Socratic Seminar/Discussion Questions
- Response assignments that can work as HW
- Song lyrics from each movie to analyze more closely
- Worksheets (differentiated for on-level and higher-level students) for the texts and movies to examine archetypes and specific lenses
- 3 higher level thinking and application assignments
- 3 essay examining a fairy tale through a critical lens and skills-based rubric
- Final project in which students work in teams to create a sales pitch to company executives of a modified version of a fairy tale from a culture that has either NOT been represented or has been under-represented
Looking for a slightly smaller unit? Check out this one. It is not tiered for gifted and does not include The Princess and the Frog study or the PBL project - Critical Lens Theory Through Fairy Tales
Want to see how well this went over in my class? Check out my blog post here Around the World With Mrs. C Blog
Other products you may like...
Copyright © Around the World With Mrs. C.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.