Looking for an interesting way to dive into critical lens theory with your students? This is a wildly successful activity I have completed with my students the past few years. With this product students look at Disney's movie The Princess and the Frog using critical lens theory; specifically the Cultural Lens. With this critical lens, students analyze different aspects of their culture and how it can be seen in the work.
Students look for and discuss such aspects such as socioeconomic and gender issues, politics, social norms (including racism and bigotry) reflected in the film.
- PP introduction to what the cultural lens is and questions for students to be considering when they look through this lens
- 4 PDF movie analysis handouts for on-level students
- 4 PDF movie analysis handouts for gifted students
- cultural lens analysis handout over the song lyrics Almost There
- 2 PDF handouts of Socratic Seminar prep questions
This is one portion of my larger, tiered unit on Critical Lens Theory and Fairy Tales if you are interested in a larger unit of study. You can find it here
Would you like to check out a more detailed blog post of how I have used this in my classroom? Click here! Related Products
Copyright © Around the World With Mrs. C.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.