Also included in
- 24 Critical Thinking lessons. Explore fake news, point of view, bias, social media vs traditional news. Detailed lesson plan with discussion points, review questions, slideshow lesson, handouts and activities. IN PERSON or ONLINE LEARNING. Version 2021-11-08 UPDATE: This product is currently on sale$31.50$60.03Save $28.53
Students compare the reliability of information from Social Media and Traditional News Media.
Three critical thinking strategies help students make more informed decisions.
Students also reflect on how their attitudes change as they learn more information.
In this lesson, students try to
- be OPEN-MINDED as they explore different points of view and examples.
- become FULL-MINDED and explore how money is made online through ads before learning about Fake News websites during the Trump election.
- USE CRITERIA to determine if local news anchors reciting the same script about the dangers of social media is an example of Fake News.
Media skills and understandings are embedded throughout the Common Core State Standards rather than treated in a separate section.
In this lesson, students will
- Cite the evidence that supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly and implicitly.
- Determine and analyze different points of view.
- Analyze a case where multiple sources provide conflicting information on the same topic (Sinclair incident.)
NOTE: This is Section D of the .
- This section is part of a larger unit. As such, this product may make reference to other sections and activities.
- All of the files you need to teach Fake News are in a ZIP file.
- The File Table of Contents PDF (in the zipped folder) contains the links to get the Google Docs / Slides files.
- If you have already purchased the bundle, then you will have access to this zip file product shortly.
- (Email me at Mike@educircles.org if you need access sooner than later!)
RIGHT NOW, this product is HEAVILY DISCOUNTED as a thank you to people who follow my store.
- I am in process of updating my into a bundle of ZIP file products.
- This will make the bundle much easier to use.
- The price of this product will go up to $11 soon!
Thank you for following my store! (Or being in the right place at the right time and finding this special price!)
- Some of my products are FREE or deeply discounted when they are first released. This is a special thank you to people who follow my store.
- FOLLOW MY STORE so TpT can notify you when I publish a new product!
TIRED OF MISSING OUT ON DEALS? Do you want my NEW PRODUCTS for FREE?
- Stop worrying about waiting for my products to go on sale.
- Stop stressing about missing out on early bird FREE pricing for my new products.
- and get all my new products for free.
- (Psst, the price of the Educircles EVERYTHING Bundle goes up as I add more resources to my store. Read more.)
NOTE: Please look at the PREVIEW PDF for this product before you buy!
- It shows you watermarked versions of all of the pages in all of the PDF files.
- This way, you can see EXACTLY what you are getting.
- The PREVIEW PDF is beside the product cover images. (Just swipe through the product covers.)
✅ The slideshow lesson teaches the concepts (186 slides.)
✅ You can EDIT THE FILES to fit your classroom needs.
✅ Comprehensive lesson plan, script, and discussion questions (59 pages.)
✅ Handouts and Lesson Review (15 pages). Note: A separate answer key is NOT provided as answers to the lesson review are embedded in the detailed lesson plans.)
✅ Use the one-click copy links (in the File Table of Contents PDF) to quickly find the files you need.
..... Thu Dec 2 update: Chag Urim Sameach if you are observing Hanukkah!
⭐ Not sure where to start? I can recommend a FREE RESOURCE based on your class needs. Fill out this form.
OH NO! You just missed my sale! Make sure to follow my store so you don't miss out next time!
⭐ Thank you to everyone who participated in the Educircles Follow my Store $10 TpT giveaway! The first 5 people to answer received a $10 TpT gift card.
- I sent the question and the survey link on Wed Nov 24, 2021.
- TpT Gift cards were sent out on Mon Nov 29, 2021.
- Make sure you follow my store to get the next set of questions!
- If your name is on the list below and you didn't receive an email from me, please check your spam folder. If it's not there, please email Mike@educircles.org
Congratulations! ($10 TpT gift card)
- Shaneise (First Place)
- Angela (Second Place)
- Naveed (Third Place)
- Diane Lynne (Fourth Place)
- Tiffany (Fifth Place)
- Jennifer (Consolation Prize)
- Angelique (Consolation Prize)
- Vanessa (Consolation Prize)
- Brianna (Consolation Prize)
- Greig (Consolation Prize)
- Marni (Consolation Prize)
- Jennie (Consolation Prize)
- Ester (Consolation Prize)
- Stephanie (Consolation Prize)
- Hidayatul Atiqah (Consolation Prize)
- Marisa (Consolation Prize)
- Marc (Consolation Prize)
- Miranda (Consolation Prize)
- Lucia (Consolation Prize)
- Diane (Consolation Prize)
HOW TO WIN NEXT TIME!
- I send out my Educircles Follow My Store surveys just before TpT has a sale.
- Upgrade your TpT account to a (free) seller membership.
- TpT emails advance notice about sales to people with a seller account.
- TpT will also tell you when sellers can announce the sale. I try to send my Note to Followers with the survey link on that day.
- PRO TIP: If you already have a seller account, you might want to check the bonus stuff on this page.
⭐ Check out my new website: Reading Strategies.ca
Starting a new term or unit? Need to give your students a little pep talk? Check out these SEL / 6 Cs units:
- Standing up for others
- Working in groups
- Communicating when you're upset
- Coming up with your own ideas
- Thinking critically and logically
My name is Mike Fuchigami. I'm the teacher behind Educircles.
- I want to help you SAVE HOURS of PREP. My goal is to help you EMPOWER STUDENTS to survive and thrive in a changing world!
- SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel for free lessons!
- FOLLOW my Facebook page for free resources and tips!
- FOLLOW this TpT store for free TpT gift cards!
Teachers around the world have DOWNLOADED over 38,769 Educircles resources!
- Check out where teachers have bought my resources (map.)
- THANK YOU to everyone who has purchased an Educircles product. With your help, Educircles has DONATED $7,530 to STUDENT MENTAL HEALTH organizations!
✅ SOCIAL and EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL) in a world of Covid, Systemic Racism and Constant Change...
- Teach students how to PIVOT when faced with obstacles and opportunities.
- BUILD character: develop resilience during uncertain times.
- EMPOWER classroom citizenship: actively participate in our school, local and global community to make the world a better place.
- THINK critically instead of reacting to fear, viral videos, or fake news.
- EVALUATE systemic discrimination in a real-world case study: how might a system impose unfair burdens on a group of people?
- FREE activity: help students with SELF AWARENESS and SOCIAL AWARENESS. Start by asking your students who is invisible...
- FREE reading comprehension article: help students develop SELF AWARENESS and SELF CONTROL by setting goals and learning from mistakes.
✅ SAVE HOURS OF PREP (and money) with a bundle!
- Reading Strategies bundle
- Goal Setting bundle
- The Educircles EVERYTHING bundle (Psst, the price goes up as I add more resources to my store.)
If you have any questions, please email me at Mike@educircles.org or ask in the Questions and Answers section!