High-interest reading response / written paragraph activity to do with your students.
Firefighters and EMS responded to a “hazardous materials incident” onboard a local school bus after several students complained of a strong odor. The strong smell turned out to be Axe Body Spray.
This article comes in 3 differentiated reading levels:
- A. Grade 8
- B. Grade 10
- C. Grade 5
- D. Grade 5 (no critical thinking mini lesson on the handout)
- Reading grade levels are approximate.
- I used Hemingway Editor (http://www.hemingwayapp.com/) to re-write each paragraph for the different grade levels:Hemingway determines the “grade level” of your text using the Automated Readability Index.
- Although there are many different readability formulas that calculate different grades, bottom line is there are 3 different versions of the article.
- EACH BODY PARAGRAPH is numbered and match across the versions. (So paragraph 1 has the same facts in all three reading levels.)
The reading response package includes
- A note-taking graphic organizer (double-entry journal)
- A paragraph response page
- A rubric assessing ideas, organization and writing conventions.
- NOTE: Answer key not provided as teachers will have different expectations for qualiity of student writing.
5 Things you need to know:
- In Florida, a school bus carrying 30 middle school students had to be evacuated due to an unknown strong odour.
- The bus driver evacuated the bus, radioed dispatch who then called 911.
- Emergency services treated the students who had been affected.
- No one was seriously injured.
- The strong smell turned out to be Axe Body Spray.
Critical Thinking Mini-Lesson
One aspect of critical thinking means to be “full minded” when we make an informed decision. Based on that, how would you answer the following questions:
Critical Thinking Discussion Questions
- Did the school bus driver make the right decision or should it have been handled differently?
- What consequences, if any, do you think the student or students who sprayed the Axe should face?
- Was this a good use of resources considering how much it would cost to have the fire department, ambulances and police arrive on the scene?
Axe Body Spray stops a Florida school bus due to a "hazardous materials incident"
OPTION 1: NO PREP JUST PRINT VERSION:
- Just print a class set of the file called
Educircles 21st Century Learning 001 Axe Spray - 0 NO PREP.PDF
- This includes the article, the paragraph response handouts and rubric.
OPTION 2: If you want to watch the slideshow that goes with this article:
OPTION 3: If you want to EDIT the files:
- Modify the Word .DOCx handouts to fit your specific classroom needs.
- You may need to install the BANGERS comic book font (instructions provided later on)