Also included in
- 24 Critical Thinking lessons. Explore fake news, point of view, bias, social media vs traditional news. Detailed lesson plan with discussion points, review questions, slideshow lesson, handouts and activities. IN PERSON or ONLINE LEARNING. This life-long tool is great ANY TIME of the year: during BA$38.50$72.00Save $33.50
- Encourage a GROWTH MINDSET to deal with life obstacles, systemic racism, Covid 19, and academic challenges! High Interest FUN lessons that can be used ANY TIME! Perfect for the START of the school year or AFTER a COVID LOCKDOWN. Explicitly teach students: HOW to build character, be good citizens, co$67.50$132.16Save $64.66
- SAVE TIME and MONEY! This bundle includes every single Educircles resource on my TpT store.As I add more resources, the price of this product will increase. This is because TpT caps the discount I can offer on products in a bundle. I can only reduce the price by 50% in a bundle.Once you buy this pro$117.08$234.16Save $117.08
10 page independent worksheet package.
Help students use critical thinking to figure out the lie in my Did I Cheat “Psst I’m lying” challenge.
44 questions provide structured support.
Guide students through the critical thinking process:
- Minds on: First impressions
- 3 Critical Thinking Strategies
- Thinking about lying
- Thinking a little more deeply about lying
- Creating a list of criteria.
- Analyze the video. (Watch the video again.)
- Be full minded
- Be open minded
Did I cheat? Maybe...
Am I lying? Absolutely!
Can your students figure out the lie? Let’s find out!
It goes over:
- 2:03 Why are we doing this?
- 3:00 Why does the video in the challenge look like it's talking to teachers?
- 4:34 What do we do? (Look for clues and inconsistencies) - ANALYSIS
- 5:15 Quick overview of the mini lesson on 3 critical thinking strategies
- 5:39 Using a student-created checklist to see if I'm lying - EVALUATING
- 7:24 What the class conversation might sound like
⭐ Things to know:
- This critical thinking worksheet package follows the slideshow lesson in the . (Slideshow included - see below.)
- Answer key NOT provided. This is an open-ended real world problem. Sample answers are not provided so that students are not guided towards the "right" answer.
- Email me at Mike@educircles.org for a hint if your students get stuck.
- Edit the documents to meet your classroom needs: Google Docs, Microsoft Word. Easel by TpT
- No PREP, just print PDF included.
- This lesson includes a few slides and concepts from the chapter of the .
⭐ This worksheet package can be used in 2 ways:
OPTION 1. Use this worksheet package by itself.
- Students explore the videos and the slideshow lesson independently.
- The handouts include links to all of the YouTube videos students need to analyze.
- The first page of the handout includes a view-only link to the required slideshow.
OPTION 2. Teach the slideshow lesson in the . Then use this worksheet package to see what individual students think.
- VIEW the slideshow lesson:
- EDIT the slideshow lesson. Get a copy of the Google Slides / MS Powerpoint files here:
⭐ About the Big Hint...
Slide 11 in the slideshow contains information about a .
You can choose to delete this slide...
See if your students independently discover it as they try to be FULL MINDED (and seek out more information beyond what’s directly given to them.)
- Edit the handout (FILE 3, page 1, 2) to remove the link to the slideshow
- and delete slide 11
Or, you can leave it in so the hint is more obvious for students:
⭐ How to use this resource with Online Learning (Google Classroom™ / Microsoft Teams™ / Other LMS)
You can use this resource with an online Learning Management System that allows you to upload documents and URL links to student assignments.
There are two formats that you can use to get students to submit their work online
OPTION 1: Students fill out work in a Google Doc™ / Microsoft Word™ document
- If students are typing their answers in a Google Doc or Microsoft Word document, then the page formatting WILL CHANGE as students type in their answers.
- The links in Google Doc or Microsoft Word handouts ARE CLICKABLE
- YOU MAY WANT to include the links separately to make it easier for students to find.
OPTION 2: Students fill out work in an Easel by TpT™ document
"Easel by TpT is a suite of time-saving tools to help you teach, engage, and assess learners on any device. You can assign Easel lessons through Google Classroom or you can copy a link to it and paste it into any LMS you use with your students."
- If students are typing their answers into an Easel by TpT document, the page formatting WILL NOT CHANGE as students type in their answers. (This is because the input answer boxes expand and collapse so there is no overflow.)
- The links in an Easel by TpT handout ARE NOT CLICKABLE. They are also not able to be copy/pasted into a browser. (This is because Easel by TpT PDFs are actually background images. I’ve put a movable box over the links to explain this - but students can move the box aside to see the image of the link below.)
- YOU WILL need to include the links separately for students to click.
⭐ How to get the Easel by TpT version of this resource
Screenshots of what to do are included in the READ ME FIRST PDF (page 4.)
- Go to the for this resource.
- STEP 1: CLICK the green “View 2 Files” button
- STEP 2: CLICK the green “Open Digital Activity” button in the pop up window.
⭐ Links used in this resource
Educircles slideshow lesson
- Handout pages 1, 2
- Hidden by YELLOW movable box in Easel by TpT document
Educircles video: Behind the Scenes Live Stream #5
- Handout Pages 1, 6
- Hidden by BLUE movable box in Easel by TpT document
Educircles video about how to cheat on RANDOM.org
- Handout Page 7
- Hidden by BROWN movable box in Easel by TpT document
Educircles video about how I buy gift cards
- Version 1 (no questions):
- Handout Page 8
- Hidden by PINK movable box in Easel by TpT document
- Version 2 (questions):
- Handout Page 8
- Hidden by PINK movable box in Easel by TpT document
..... Mon Oct 18, 2021 update: Hope your October is going well.
I constantly make mistakes.
- Here are 3 EPIC FAILS that I've recently made.
- Here's a NO PREP article about learning from mistakes. Help students develop SELF AWARENESS and SELF CONTROL by setting goals.
This Social Emotional Learning strategy #5 is FREE for a limited time as a thank you
- to people who FOLLOW my TpT store
- (and people who are at the right place and the right time... like you!)
In Canada, October is Islamic Heritage Month.
In the US, Sep 15 to Oct 15 was Hispanic Heritage Month.
Monday Oct 11 was Indigenous Peoples' Day.
- Want a cool (and FREE) activity to explain why we have these "months" and "days" for different groups of people?
- Ask your students who is invisible?
- This FREE lesson works as an ANTI-RACISM, POINT of VIEW, CRITICAL THINKING, and SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL) lesson!
My name is Mike Fuchigami. I'm the teacher behind Educircles.
- I want to help you SAVE HOURS of PREP. My goal is to help you EMPOWER STUDENTS to survive and thrive in a changing world!
- SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel for free lessons!
- FOLLOW my Facebook page for free resources and tips!
- FOLLOW this TpT store for free TpT gift cards!
Teachers around the world have DOWNLOADED over 36,435 Educircles resources!
- Check out the map! It shows the cities where teachers have bought one of my resources!
- THANK YOU to everyone who has purchased an Educircles product: $7,530 of sales have been DONATED to STUDENT MENTAL HEALTH CHARITIES!
✅ SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL) SKILLS in a world of Covid, Systemic Racism and CONSTANT Change!
- BUILD character: develop resilience during uncertain times.
- EMPOWER classroom citizenship: actively participate in our school, local and global community to make the world a better place.
- THINK critically instead of reacting to fear, viral videos, or fake news.
- EVALUATE systemic discrimination in a real world case study: how might a system impose unfair burdens on a group of people?
✅ SAVE HOURS OF PREP (and money) with the bundle!
- Reading Strategies bundle
- Goal Setting bundle
- The Educircles EVERYTHING Bundle (Psst, the price goes up as I add more resources to my store.)
⭐ Change Log
(For more information, please see the READ ME FIRST PDF)
Version 2.1: BIG HINT update (Aug 6, 2021)
- Worksheet (FILE 3) and NO PREP JUST PRINT PDF (FILE 0) now contain a link to the slideshow on page 1, 2
- Worksheet (FILE 3) now available as an Easel by TpT document
- Added © copyright symbol to worksheet as a reminder of copyright status.
- No Prep Just Print PDF (FILE 0) updated.
- READ ME FIRST PDF (FILE 1a) updated to include information about BIG HINT, different teaching options, different online learning options, getting the Easel by TpT version
- (FILE 1b) updated information about the Did I Cheat Psst I’m lying resource
If you have any questions, please ask in the Q&A section below, or feel free to email me at Mike@educircles.org