Critical and Differentiated Thinking: St. Patrick's Day
Critical and Differentiated thinking task cards are great for differentiation, morning work, literacy centers, math centers, early finishers and fast finishers.
Students will use character cards as manipulative tools (when needed) to think critically and solve logic problems. Cards will be moved around for each of 10 tasks as solutions are generated. Cards are NOT needed for all tasks. Optional "center sign" is included as well as answer document and key.
These cards are designed to be used with:
* gifted and talented 1st and 2nd grade student
* high performing KG student
* average 3rd grade student
* 4th grade student needing remediation
Please read sample problems to determine if this product is appropriate for your students.
Example of More Challenging Problem
To advertise the upcoming parade, students created posters. They used sequined shamrocks to decorate their posters.
Use the clues to determine how many sequins each student used.
* Lilly Leprechaun used more than 5 but less than 7.
* Lucy used the most which was 4 more than 12.
* Lucky used 5 less than Lucy and 5 more than
* Linus used the least which was 2 less than
Example of Easier Problem
Several students gathered to plan the St Patrick’s Day parade for their school! They decided to learn more about this holiday and each chose a subject to study. Use the clues to determine which subject each chose.
* Lilly, Lucy, Lucky and Linus met at the library to begin their research.
* Neither Lilly nor Lucy Leprechaun chose to study about a person.
* Lilly chose to read about something that grows in nature.
* Lucky studied the person for which
St. Patrick’s Day is named while
Lucy read about a country.
Suggestions for Use
~ laminated character cards are placed under document camera &
manipulated by teacher.
~ Answers can be oral or written on answer page.
Center / Station
~ laminated task & character cards are manipulated by small
groups of students to solve problems.
~ Answers are written on student answer page.
~ Optional center sign included (page 3).
~ laminated task & character cards are placed in a central location
and used by fast finishers.
If you find this resource to be of benefit, you might consider these as well:
Critical & Differentiated Thinking Earth Day
Critical & Differentiated Thinking Back to School
Critical & Differentiated Thinking Halloween