These can be challenging lessons, but they are SO worth it!
As a class, we brainstormed, with a lot of guidance, what makes a "great" setting, character, plot, theme, etc.
After recording some ideas on the criteria sheet, groups critiqued a book that had already been read in class, based on the criteria.
They loved being able to pretend to be a book critic and give components of stories "stars" just like movie critics really do!
There are great ways to help kids understand how to critique books, including a CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE CRITIQUING Introductory Actvity!
Included in this Pack:
* Fictional Criteria Page
* Fictional Rating Paper
* Critiquing Fiction & Non-Fiction Anchor Chart Examples
* THREE "Crazy About Critiquing" Graphic Organizers to guide students in finding what they like and don't like about their books and WHY
* Non-Fiction Criteria Page
* Non-Fiction Rating Paper
* Comparing Non-Fiction Texts Organizer
* Chocolate Chip Cookie Critique Instructions
* Chocolate Chip Cookie Critique Criteria/Rating Table & Reflection Page
* Critiquing Character REPORT CARD activity & example anchor chart
* Fictional & Non-Fiction Text Nomination Tickets-these are included so that students' can eventually nominate their favorite fictional/non-fiction text from the entire year! (I like to have a handful of options for them to choose from, and then create a whole "ceremony" similar to an award show like the Oscars! You could even integrate some graphing skills and track how many votes each book received!)
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the red star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive customized email updates about this store. ☺
I've made the following revisions to this product:
I've added SIXTEEN pages! I made this product a whole fictional/non-fiction critiquing pack! I'm very excited! Don't forget to download the updated version for FREE!
Thank you again for your purchase!!