Cross-Country Cat, by Mary Calhoun, is a great story with lots of great vocabulary and a variety of interesting verbs.
It is a 3.9 AR level book.
I have used it with high second graders and several groups of third graders. It would not be too easy for fourth graders practicing their summary-writing skills and examining vocabulary as inspiration for their own writing.
This unit contains:
- Vocabulary chart: before reading story, students rate their knowledge of a few vocabulary words from the book
- Preview the book: before reading story, look through the book to get an idea of the story setting, events, etc.
- IVF (identify the item (story) … use a key verb … that finishes your thought (describes the main idea of the story)
- Students rewrite their summary sentence and illustrate it
- Vocabulary page … make as many copies as you like to have students practice new vocabulary
- Verbs … this book contains a variety of interesting verbs that describe ways of moving. This page is a bit of a scavenger hunt to find verbs.
- Students answer a question with multiple sentences using details from the story to support choice of words that describe the main character
- Students answer a question about the story with one or two sentences, as well as 3 multiple choice questions
- Sequence of key events in the story
- Crossword puzzle using vocabulary words from the story
- answers keys
Please let me know if you have any questions about any of the pages.