Also included in
- This product is a bundle all 5 of my NGSS-aligned Back to School resources which have been updated for distance or remote learning with digital interactive notebooks! This bundle is valued at over $19 for only $15! You will have access to resources that are sure to engage and challenge your students$16.00$21.00Save $5.00
- **CHECK OUT THE NEW UPDATES BELOW! This NGSS Next Generation Science Standards for Middle School Science Mega Bundle has all of my NGSS labs, lessons, activities, assessments, projects, stems, and other resources combined into one product (most of which have been or are being edited for distance lea$232.25$321.25Save $89.00
If you’re looking for a rich, quality activity to introduce students to the NGSS Crosscutting Concepts, then this is the perfect lab resource for you whether during remote/distance learning or while in class!
****NEWLY ADDED! A Google Slides digital interactive notebook version of this product is included with purchase (link is located in the PDF)! It's 2 products for the price of one and can even be downloaded as a PowerPoint presentation!
---->Click here for a Science and Engineering Practices Stations Activity with digital interactive notebook included. (If you plan to use both resources, it’s best that you offer some time in between because it may be overwhelming for students.)
Check out the other home/distance learning products in my store!
Real world examples are included at each station to make them explicit and meaningful. Some stations require short student experiments while others involve making observations and drawing conclusions. This LOW PREP resource (see materials list below, most is included, digital version requires only internet access!) is crucial in exposing students to these “lenses” at the beginning of the year so that they may recognize them throughout their learning experiences and deepen understanding. If you’re new to the NGSS, this activity will even help YOU understand them better! Options for extension activities and trendy labels to print and display the CCCs on a bulletin board are also included! No prior knowledge of the CCCs or of the topics of the stations is required!
*As stated in the framework, students on their ability to define the crosscutting concepts in isolation. Rather, students should start to see connections from the crosscutting concepts to what they are learning about. This is the value of exposing students to the CCCs at the beginning of the school year. Recommended time is about 7-8 minutes per station and then time to review as a class. It generally takes two class periods.
1. Patterns in snowflakes
2. Cause and Effect in Newton’s 2nd Law (students flick index cards off cups)
3. Scale, Proportion, and Quantity using our Solar System
4. Systems and System Models of dropping a ball versus a sheet of paper
5. Energy and Matter in Photosynthesis
6. Structure and Function of screwdrivers, thumbs, and birds’ beaks
7. Stability and Change in the Florida Everglades (Burmese Python introduction)
Included in this resource:
- Student lab sheets
- Link to Google Slides version
- CCCs Review
- “For the Teacher” Section with tips
- Trendy Labels of CCCs to print and display
- Materials List with some included materials (images)
- Ideas for Extensions
- Answer Keys
- Philosophy on why introducing the CCCs are necessary
- Quality examples and images at each station
- Links to more info on the CCCs and FREE graphic organizers
Materials Needed (not needed for digital interactive notebook): Included Images, cup, index card, coin, marble, any small ball (tennis ball, bouncy ball, etc.), sheet of paper, tape
If you’re looking for full page copies of all 3 dimensions of the NGSS to use as your objectives, you can find them here: NGSS Objective Board Labels. Making your daily objectives clear without giving away anything is very important! It’s a method that I use in my classroom: Defining Daily Learning Goals
Looking for assessment resources for more NGSS standards? Check out my other Assessments here: NGSS Assessments and Test Questions
Follow my store at this link to stay up-to-date on my latest NGSS resources! Click here!
Are you on Facebook? Be sure to follow me on Facebook for NGSS FREEBIES, updates on what I’m working on, and of course, science memes! Professor Doubter's Facebook Page
Other Products you may be interested in:
Looking for NGSS lessons, units, activities, etc.? Check out my store and the links below for more: Store Link.
Buy the bundle and have access to all NGSS resources!
NGSS Physical Science Bundle: Click Here
NGSS Life Science Bundle: Click Here
NGSS Earth Science Bundle: Click Here
NGSS All Resources Bundle: Click Here
Don't forget to rate my product to earn TPT credits!! CHECK OUT MY NGSS LESSONS IN MY STORE AND BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME TO STAY UP-TO-DATE ON THE LATEST NGSS RESOURCES!!!