Here’s a Crossing the Wire novel guide sure to get your students thinking deeply, close reading, acquiring new vocabulary, and discussing meaningful ideas. Chapter Response Pages allow students to analyze characters, settings, dialogue, figurative language, and important plot details through the entire novel.
1. CHAPTER RESPONSE PAGES – These pages are attractively designed with specific prompts that allow students to explore characters and their actions, new settings, plot development, important quotations, figurative language, sound devices, imagery, author's tone, theme, pertinent Spanish terms, etc. Students enjoy working on the Response Pages with a partner or in small groups, or they can be completed independently.
2. VOCABULARY - Four pages, which highlight 20 words, with definitions and parts of speech given. Also, sentences with blanks are included, where students fill in the correct vocabulary word after considering the definitions.
3. FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE SCAVENGER HUNT - Students search for examples of figurative language and analyze figurative meanings (works well with a partner).
4. NARRATIVE “LETTER HOME” WRITING ASIGNMENT – A writing process, four-paragraph letter-writing assignment based on an extension situation at the end of the novel. Students will write in first-person point of view. Includes a graphic organizer.
5. GRADING SHEET FOR WRITING ASSIGNMENT - An optional grading sheet to use with the Narrative Letter assignment. Comment banks describe Strengths and Areas to Improve for each paragraph’s requirements, with space for an assigned grade.
6. ANSWER KEYS and STANDARDS – Answer Keys are Included, along with a list of Common Core Standards reflected in the resource.
Because Hobbs uses short chapters with cliffhangers and students don't enjoy stopping constantly for written response, I have grouped the Chapter Response Pages a few chapters at a time.
If you are looking for something that allows students to carefully follow this exciting novel's significant events and engage in a variety of skills without resorting to a question-answer format, this attractive and engaging product is for you.
Please open the PREVIEW for a look!
IYou might also like:
Character Traits Essay – Informative Writing
Theme Essay DIGITAL Google or MicrosoftOneDrive – for ANY Literature Common Core
---Click to receive Teaching Tips and FREEBIES!