PROJECT LENGTH: 9 days (with hour-long class periods)
DESCRIPTION: This lesson focuses on the design principles of unity and emphasis as well as the art elements of value, line, shape, and color. Throughout this unit, students will study the artworks of cubists artists Georges Braque, Pablo Picasso, and Giacomo Balla. All students will create their own cubist drawings. This project is a hit in my classroom. Students often ask to create a second cubist drawing on their own, just for fun.
1. Powerpoint which includes step by step project instructions, student exemplars, teacher exemplar and master artworks.
2. Guided notes on the art movement of Cubism.
3. Reading and comprehension questions on Georges Braque's artwork Composition with the Ace of Clubs.
4. Answer key to the reading comprehension questions on Georges Braque's artwork Composition with the Ace of Clubs.
5. Reading and comprehension questions on unity, emphasis and obscuring the illusion of space in cubist artworks.
6. Answer key to the reading comprehension questions on unity, emphasis and obscuring the illusion of space in cubist artworks.
7. Worksheet on the art element of value.
8. Ms. Cook's exemplar of the completed value worksheet
9. Cubist drawing study with step by step instructions and color keys.
10. Ms. Cook's exemplar of the completed cubist drawing study (in Powerpoint).
11. Cubist drawing homework handout
- Printed reference image. Ex: animal, logo, jewelry, etc. (optional - students can freehand their original shape, if they choose)
- Colored pencils (warm and cool colors)
- Ruler (optional)
- Students will be formatively assessed on their knowledge of line, shape, color, value, unity and emphasis while creating their drawings.
- Warm Up and Exit Ticket questions.
- Discussion questions about famous artworks and artists (art history).