“El cuy” is a cultural lesson plan about the traditional guinea pig dish that is served in communities in the Andes mountains in Peru, Ecuador, & Colombia. Your students will be fascinated by this unusual dish and the customs that surround it!
This lesson will help your students to grapple with and comprehend an unfamiliar reading in the target language. Then, students will speak in groups about the role of the dish in Peruvian culture in Spanish! The lesson wraps up with a written exit ticket in which they will synthesize their learning for the day in Spanish.
This is perfect as a stand-alone cultural lesson plan, emergency substitute plan, or an enrichment lesson in a larger unit of study about food.
Included in this download:
* A cognate-heavy cultural reading about "El cuy" with a short glossary of words that may be unfamiliar. Appropriate for ALL levels of Spanish.
* A set of comprehension questions about the reading (with an answer key).
* Conversational activity in which students communicate verbally about the comprehension questions in small groups.
* A second set of conversation task cards which allows students to transfer their learning to new contexts. (May be used for differentiation, additional practice, or assessment.)
* A blank conversation task card template for you to create and/ or add your own speaking prompts to the conversation activity.
* Exit Ticket assessment
* Suggested lesson plan flow