Students often have a hard time seeing the relevancy of history. The further back we go, the less relevant it can seem. The Current Event Paragraph encourages students to make connections between the past and the present.
At the beginning of a unit, students bring in current event articles that relate either geographically or thematically to our current unit. Throughout the unit, they consider ways what we are studying connects to their article. By the end of the unit, they hand in a paragraph that elaborates on their findings.
***The text in this assignment is now editable for your convenience!***
The handout includes:
- A detailed explanation of the assignment
- An explanation of how to cite their source
- A checklist of what to include in their paragraph
- A sample article
- An example of a current event paragraph
- A rubric
I use this assignment all year long and have found that it really gets the students to make connections between the past and the present. It helps to make history relevant!
This is a part of a growing source analysis bundle (buy now and download for free as I add more). Click Here
to buy now and upgrade your purchase.
***This is also included in all of my world history Interactive Notebooks. Check them out here:
Interactive Notebook Bundles--Find Them HERE!
***How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases***
• Go to your My Purchases page. Beside each purchase you'll see a “Provide Feedback” button. Click it and you will go to a page where you can give a rating and leave a comment for the product
***Be the first to hear about my new products and discounts***
• Look for the green star near the top of any page in my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive updates about my store.