LET THE STUDENTS BECOME THE TEACHERS EACH FRIDAY OF YOUR CLASS!
Each Friday, I take a backseat as my students become the teachers. Each student is assigned a Friday of the semester where they teach the other students about current research in the Social Scientific field of Anthropology. Two students present per week, each presentation is roughly 20-25 minutes. Students Goal: Find an updated research article about current trends, findings, etc. in Anthropology.
In this 55 point project, students:
• Analyze new research
• Write a short paper summarizing and analyzing the research
• Relate the content back to the course
• Present to the class
• Moderate a class wide discussion
• Create an assessment question so that students can be quizzed later on their presentation
Here is what is included:
• Article presentation and assignment guidelines
• Grading rubric
• Reminder of project half sheet that I distribute the Monday to those presenting that week
• My modeled presentation and paper on Mona Lisa
o Students choose their own article to research, and I approve it. This way students can work at their own academic level.
• Student Choice
o Students choose their own topic, being sure not to repeat topics through the semester. This way students have a personal connection to the topic. Intrinsic motivation is increased.
• Speaking & Listening Standards emphasized
o Students are evaluated on skills.
• Discussion Standards emphasized
o Students create their own discussion questions and moderate a class discussion.