Looking for an ongoing assignment in which students become more confident in their analysis and writing skills while staying in touch with current events? This Current Event: Editorials product is perfect for that and more!
This current event assignment requires that students find an editorial on a current event, read and annotate, document an MLA citation, craft a precis paragraph, and write a thoughtful response.
This product includes the following:
* Assignment Handout
* SOAPSTone and Precis Paragraph Handout
* Current Event Assignment Example
* Precis Paragraph Example and Precis Sentence #2 Examples
In my AP Language and Composition classroom, my students are responsible for completing weekly or, depending on the schedule, bi-weekly current events. Like the assignment handout states, this assignment aids students in practicing a mini-rhetorical analysis and identifying the speaker, author’s purpose/argument, rhetorical strategies, audience, and tone. Working on the précis paragraph allows students the opportunity to practice writing a solid rhetorical analysis thesis statement and to work on correct semi-colon use in a complex list: one of the characteristics of a more advanced writer. The structure of the second sentence in the précis also lends itself to working on parallel structure. The second précis sentence examples on the handouts are in bold to help students recognize the parallel patterns of verbs.
Additionally, students are continuing to develop their awareness of the world around them through various perspectives on local, national, and global issues and controversies. This knowledge should help them during the argument unit and synthesis essays, as they can use current events as supporting evidence for positions on various topics and become more of a global citizen.
Please open the preview for some sample pages and more detailed teacher notes.
Print and Go!
You might be interested in my other current event product:
* AP Language/AP Lang Current Events Synthesis; Current Events; Synthesis Essay
Please check out some of my other AP Lang materials:
* The Glass Castle Argument Prompts - AP Lang and Comp
* The Glass Castle Syntactical Imitations: AP Lang and Comp
* Unbroken Argument Prompts; AP Lang and Comp
* AP Lang and Comp Syntactical Imitations for Unbroken; Syntax
* AP Language Nonfiction Book Presentation; "Sell Your Book" AP Lang
* AP Language Independent Nonfiction Book Written Argument - Essay; AP Lang
* Rhetorical Analysis of a Presidential Candidate's Speech; AP Lang and Comp
* Rhetorical Analysis Tips Handout; AP Lang and Comp
* In Cold Blood - Syntactical Imitations; AP Lang and Comp; Syntax
* Rhetorical Analysis Body Paragraph Organizer; AP Language and Composition
* Rhetorical Analysis Bundle
* The Glass Castle BUNDLE: Quote Response, Argument Prompts, Syntactical Imitation
* I Am Malala: Quote Response - Say, Mean, Matter; AP Lang/Secondary ELA