PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
What do Thomas Edison, Beyonce, and Percy Jackson have in common? Their inspiring words of wisdom are all included in this no-prep cursive writing resource designed to help your students develop growth mindset, problem-solving, and positive thinking skills! Featuring motivational quotes from historical greats like Albert Einstein as well as modern-day role models like Gabby Douglas, this resource is packed with diversity, positivity, student appeal, and fun! Use it weekly to last all year long (40 weeks!), or more frequently for a shorter, focused unit as your schedule allows. It's completely flexible and perfect for teachers who have little time, but are looking for an easy way to:
• improve student confidence and proficiency in cursive writing
• encourage students to embrace mistakes and develop a growth mindset
• motivate students to problem-solve and build grit and resilience
• promote students’ sense of optimism, healthy self-talk, and positive thinking
• engage upper elementary and middle school students in meaningful conversations that strengthen their sense of school connectedness
• 40 no-prep, one-page quote worksheets for cursive writing practice
• 1 no-prep, one-page worksheet for upper case and lower case cursive alphabet practice (check the Preview to see the letter style close up)
• Instructions for use and teaching tips (with clickable links for easy navigation of the resource)
• Quote Index
Note: Due to the licensing and copyright restrictions of the fonts and graphics contained within, this resource is non-editable. Should you need edits to be able to use this resource effectively in your classroom, please contact me prior to purchasing and I will be happy to see if I can help. Thanks!
How to Use
This resource is designed as additional practice for students who are already familiar with cursive writing and how to form and connect letters. However, if your students need a refresher on the formation of individual uppercase or lowercase letters before diving into writing full quotes, a Cursive Practice Printable is included. Please click the green Preview button above to make certain the style of cursive included in this resource is consistent with your school or district cursive standards before purchasing.
Once students have brushed up on their cursive, you can choose to start with any of the 40 printable quote pages, which all include the following features:
1. Quote of the Day: At the top of each printable, a quote is printed in bold cursive. Some of the quotes include lyrics from popular songs, movies, or musicals which you can choose to have students listen to while they work — fun, but completely optional!
2. Practice It: After students read the quote, they will practice writing it by tracing dotted words. Dotted cursive practice lines are used to guide students in proper letter formation. The height of each line of cursive is equivalent to the height of one line of wide-ruled paper to ensure students are practicing at an age-appropriate size. The upper and lower case cursive alphabets are included on the bottom of the sheet in case students need guidance.
3. Write It: Once students have traced the dotted version of the quote, they will write it on their own.
4. Think About It: After writing the quote, students will think critically and write a personal reflection. You can select one of four prompts listed in this section for students to respond to, allow them to choose the prompt themselves, or ask them to respond freely without the use of a prompt.
5. Illustration: After students have completed the above four tasks, they can choose to color the illustration. If your students are not big fans of coloring (I’m looking at you, middle schoolers!), consider offering them the opportunity to use your Flair Pens or Sharpies for this activity.
6. Discussion: This resource is an awesome conversation starter! You can ask for student volunteers to share what they wrote in the Think About It section, or have a more informal, free-form discussion about the Quote of the Day and what it means to them. This may be especially helpful if you find a particular quote that relates to conflicts or challenges your students are currently facing in the classroom, such as stress, frustration, or negative thinking.
When to Use
One of the best features of this resource is how flexible it is! You can use it as bellwork, an exit slip, or at a center for writing or early finishers. This resource is also an excellent tool to introduce the topics of growth mindset, grit, resilience, and positive thinking into a guidance, life skills, or character education lesson. If students are dealing with frustration, adversity, stress, conflicts, or negativity, due to testing or other challenging circumstances at school or at home, this resource can provide encouragement, support, a chance to decompress, or a fun brain break. Quotes can be used in any order, and the included Quote Index (shown in the Preview) can help you quickly locate quotes that may be of most interest to your students. You can also choose to use the quotes with whatever frequency works best for you. Use them daily, and they will last for 8 full weeks — perfect for a focused, two-month unit. Or, use them once per week and they will last the entire school year. Super flexible!
Preview, Preview, Preview
I can't say it enough! Please click on the green Preview button at the top of this page before purchasing to be sure this resource is a good fit for you and your students. Because cursive styles vary so widely, please review the style of cursive included in this resource prior to purchasing. Also, please note that this resource is non-editable due to licensing and copyright restrictions of the font and graphics it contains. If you are uncertain if this resource is right for you or have questions, please contact me before you buy and I'll be happy to help!
Smiling Customers Guarantee
I want this resource to bring fresh, meaningful learning to your classroom that leaves you and your students smiling, which is why I offer a 'Smiling Customers Guarantee.' Sometimes a resource just isn't what a teacher expects or doesn't work the way he or she hoped -- and that's ok! Please contact me if you have a problem or are disappointed before leaving negative feedback on TpT. Together, we can find a solution :)
Welcome to etiQit, where you'll find a fresh, modern approach to social emotional learning (SEL)! etiQit sounds just like 'etiquette' -- but its focus isn't on manners. Instead, etiQit equips students with essential tools and strategies to promote their emotional health and personal safety so they may become positive contributors to a climate of respect, safety, and connectedness both at school and online. My low-prep, download-and-use materials are perfect for teachers of specialty subjects (such as counseling and guidance, health, life skills, vocational education, character education, special education, and speech) as well as general classroom teachers looking for easy-to-implement SEL activities. Thanks for joining me in a movement to create emotionally healthier students and safer schools through education!