Cut up sentences are a great independent activity while you are teaching guided reading groups or guided writing groups. The activity provides emergent readers and writers with a template that they can use as a guide. This activity can also be used without the template. This activity reinforces one-one matching in reading and also helps with sight word recognition. It also helps children remember sentence structures. All in all it is a very effective activity that I have used for years.
* 5 cut up sentences using the language structure "I can..."
* 5 cut up sentences using the language structure "I am..."
* 5 cut up sentences using the language structure "Here is..."
* 5 cut up sentences using the language structure "Here comes..."
* sight words activities for each pack
The pictures provide students with visual reminders of what they need to do. The image of a book is for the sheet that needs to be stuck into their workbooks and the image of a pair of scissors tells the student that they need to cut it and match it. This made the activity easier particularly for my non-English speakers. I made multiple copies per page to save trees. Just cut along the lines and they are ready to use.