This product includes of engaging, hands-on task cards to introduce the concept of partitioning a whole into equal parts to show fractional quantities using a simple-to-understand context of cutting cakes into equal slices. With including dry erase task cards and puzzle-style task cards to help your students develop a deep understanding of partitioning a whole in the real world. Students will have an opportunity to run a pretend bake shop as they partition whole cakes into equal slices to fill specific party orders. Set #1 includes and Set #2 includes in which students build cakes based on a given number of equal slices. Use this product as a small group activity, scoot/around-the-room activity, or differentiated math center.
This Product Includes:
- Set #1 - 12 Dry-Erase Partitioning Task Cards
- Set #2 - 8 Puzzle-Style Task Cards
- Recording Sheets - Sheets for both sets with boxes for students to represent learning through drawing or partitioning
- CCSS.3.NF.A.1 - Understand a fraction 1/ as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into equal parts; understand a fraction / as the quantity formed by parts of size 1/.
- TEKS.MA.3.3.A - The student applies mathematical process standards to represent and explain fractional units. The student is expected to: represent fractions greater than zero and less than or equal to one with denominators of 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8 using concrete objects and pictorial models, including strip diagrams and number lines
- VA SOL.NS.3.2.a - The student will name and write fractions and mixed numbers represented by a model