This contraction activity is designed around the gradual release template, although can be used any way in your classroom!
In this file:
* Essential Question: How are words formed?
* Vocabulary: contraction, apostrophe
* Contraction Definition Poster
* "I Do" - Teacher models - Teacher reads paragraph aloud and circles words that can be made into a contraction. Then fixes them within the paragraph
* "We Do" - Students read paragraph in groups and discuss what they find. Students come to the board to circle the words and make them into contractions.
* "Collaborative Learning" - Students read the paragraph in a group. They are given contraction cards to match with the words within the story. Students write the contraction and the words that make it up on their response page.
* "You Do" - Independent Work - Students read a paragraph independently and identify words that could be used to make up a contraction. They record those words plus the contraction they make on their response page.
* Contractions Center Activity - Students match the words with the contractions using the word cards. Then they record them on their response page.
Check out my blog for more great resources and activities
Have a Beachy Day :)
Beach Bum Literacy Chick