Get your students investigating if the Constitution led to the Civil War with this versatile document based questions for Civil War packet. This Common Core resource packet has a mini-DBQ that is designed to be similar to the New York Regents exam (Why?...Because New York has been giving these Common Core assessments for years, and it's expected that many state assessments will follow a similar format). The DBQ is divided into a primary source document analysis and a written response section. Students are expected to respond to questions, find evidence and provide commentary. It fits perfectly with the Common Core reading and writing standards 6-8.1-10.
Here’s what’s included with each DBQ:
1. A focus writing response question prominently on each page. The focus question for this DBQ is: In what ways did the Constitution lead to the Civil War?
2.Historical background introduction followed by a DBQ student task list.
3. Six varied primary source and secondary source documents with short answer questions. These can also be done separately as a stations work format for another option. Specifically students analyze the Constitution (including the 3/5's compromise and amendment 10), and speeches by Jefferson Davis, Lincoln and Congressman.
5. Three writing response options so teachers can choose by class level or teaching preference. Each option includes instructional materials.
6. Student writing templates for each writing response option that both include stem sentences and do not.
7. Guided practice writing worksheets and a commentary stem sentence printable.
This was a LABOR OF LOVE, that took an unimaginable amount of time. Have a great lesson!
***SAVE BIG! You can buy a DBQ for 8 U.S. History units in a DBQ Bundle.
These resources are versatile and Common Core!
✎✎✎ SAVE BIGGER! Buy this lesson in a discounted CIVIL WAR UNIT ACTIVITY BUNDLE!
Tony Pavlovich, Instructomania, DBQs US history, DBQs U.S. history