If you’re like me, you’re always looking for ways to improve the writing process for your students. I love providing step by step instructions. After implementing these worksheets, I saw my students’ essay scores improve by 5-10% AND noticed a huge increase in student engagement, which is always my goal! I've designed these DBQ Essay writing tools to assist students in analyzing the documents, sorting the documents into categories, and writing their entire essay. In addition, I've included a detailed rubric that allows you to efficiently assess essays while providing meaningful, detailed feedback to your students. And the best part?
Compatible with any set of DBQ documents. DBQ documents not included.
Rubric assesses the full essay including: introduction, thesis, topic sentences, concrete details (evidence), commentary (evidence analysis), conclusion, grammar/spelling, organization, etc.
Uses TS (topic sentence), CD (concrete detail or evidence), CM (commentary or evidence analysis) structure for grading body paragraphs.
- Suggested use of materials outline: helps you implement these resources into your lessons
- DBQ Document Analysis Handout: helps student assess source reliability, main point, and connection to the prompt
- Grouping & Thesis Work Handout: Helps students sort through potential categories/groupings for their essay (these categories will become their body paragraphs) AND create a concept thesis using their categories
- Thesis & TS Instructions: Allows students to review expectations for theses and topic sentences while practicing directly on the worksheet
- CD, CM, CS Instructions: Allows students to review expectations for body paragraphs
- Intro & Conclusion Instructions: Allows students to review expectations for intros and conclusions
- Proofread Instructions: Allows students to review expectations for proofreading before engaging in the editing process
- Accountability Slips Template: For use throughout the essay work days to keep students focused, productive, and accountable
- Detailed DBQ Essay Rubric
- Class set of each included handout
- DBQ Documents (not included)
You might also enjoy:
- SMART Goal Setting for Secondary Students
- Student Listening Guide for the Washington Post's Presidential Podcast
- Progressive Era Photo Collage Mini Project
- Holocaust Inquiry Project
- Cold War March Madness